Monday, October 22, 2007

Sweden Crushes Religious Education

Per an article published in the United Kingdom's Guardian, Sweden will be crushing any faith based teaching even in private schools. The writer of the article argues that this should be par for the course in Britain as well. Sweden is struggling with how to curb fanatical Islam. The full article is at http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/andrew_brown/2007/10/gods_honest_truth.html.

Our religious liberties are a brittle thing. How long before the anti-religious plague striking Sweden crosses the Atlantic?

In a video created by Richard Dawkins, famous scientist and atheist, Dawkins decries the passage of religious beliefs from adults to children as a form of child abuse (The Root of All Evil - The God Delusion). Dawkins encourages government to remove parental rights in the education of their own children. This spirit was recently injected into the American debate when John Edwards announced that he would not "impose" his own morality even on his second grader.

In response to a question of whether he would be comfortable having a fairy tale read to his second-grader that ends with two men kissing and living happily ever after, Edwards had this to say: "… I don't want to make that decision on behalf of my children. I want my children to be able to make that decision on behalf of themselves, and I want them to be exposed to all the information, even in (chuckling), what did you say, second grade? Well, second grade might be a little tough, but even in second grade, to be exposed to all those possibilities. Because I don't want to impose my view – nobody made me God – I don't get to decide on behalf of my family and my children. … I don't get to impose on them what it is that I believe is right."

Prepare to defend your right to transmit your beliefs to your children. Edwards and Dawkins cometh!

No comments: