Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Joel Osteen on 60 Minutes

Joel Osteen was interviewed on 60 Minutes and was portrayed as "America's Pastor". During a subsequent radio show that was discussing the interview, a caller stated that Joel was not preaching heresy because you had to preach doctrine to be a heretic. He believed that Joel did not teach any doctrine whatsoever.

I heartily disagree with the caller. Heresy can be an act of omission as much as inclusion. If a preacher should choose to exclude the life saving message that we have all sinned against God and that Jesus had to suffer for those sins, then he commits heresy. How dare a man of God withhold the single message by which mankind might be saved.

For those that adore Joel Osteen, I want to pose some hard questions. Where does a theology of the life of Paul fit into Joel Osteen's overly positive, prosperity message?

I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn? (II Corinthians 11:23-29)

Where does a theology of Jonah fit? Are our brothers and sisters in China "Living Your Best Life Now" as they are driven into prisons and summarily executed?

The truth is that Joel Osteen's message (or lack thereof) does not fit the reality of God's world. It is incapable of bringing comfort to a newly orphaned child. It is incapable of answering the question of why there is pain in the journey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your blog! I appreciate your desire for truth and exposing those wolves in sheep's garb.