Tuesday, December 04, 2007

A Mormon President

I'm struggling with the idea of possibly supporting Mitt Romney, a Mormon presidential candidate. Giuliani's social positions on abortion and homosexuality exempt him from my viable candidate list. Thompson and Huckabee also provide some reservations and they may not make it very far in the political process.

Huckabee is anticipated to strike early in the primaries, but may trail off as Mitt Romney gains steam. Everyone is playing a hundred possible scenarios, so it seems worthwhile to contemplate how I would vote if Romney gains the GOP nomination for the general election.

Latter Day Saints (LDS) prophecy (a somewhat anemic genre) describes a time when the Constitution will hang by a thread during a national crisis. The Mormon eldership will sweep to the fore to save the nation. Having a Mormon President in the Whitehouse seems to be a harbinger to the Mormon faithful that the prophecy will come true.


"Will the Constitution be destroyed? No; it will be held inviolate by this people; and, as Joseph Smith said, 'The time will come when the destiny of the nation will hang upon a single thread. At that critical juncture, this people will step forth and save it from the threatened destruction.' It will be so." (JD 7:15, Brigham Young, 4 July 1954)

Romney is a true believer and is even purported to wear the LDS under garments that supposedly are endowed with spiritual protection. On Thursday, Romney will give a speech explaining the role of his faith in his politics. The act is being compared to John F. Kennedy's speech on his Catholicism.

As a Christian, can I in good conscience support a man whose ascendency will legitimatize the Book of Mormon? The alternative may even be scarier.


Participate in the discussion by commenting or sending me an e-mail directly via the address in my profile. Dialogue is welcomed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

During the CNN/YouTube Republican debates, Romney responded (in part) to a question regarding belief in the Bible as follows:

'The Bible is the word of God. I mean, I might interpret the word differently than you interpret the word, but I read the Bible and I believe the Bible is the word of God. I don't disagree with the Bible. I try to live by it.'

I take his statement that he "might interpret the word differently than you interpret the word" as a veiled reference to his belief in the Mormon bible, as opposed to the standard Christian Bible (i.e., KJV, etc.). Or at least as an "escape", should anyone ever attempt to pin him down as to which version he believes. Not that he (or any other candidate) would let that happen. It is unfortunate, but I think we all need to face the fact that even Christian politicians are politicians first, and Christians second. Given that premise, I think that Romney is as good a candidate as Huckabee, and vastly preferable to the alternative of Clinton or Obama if he were to get the Republican nomination. For myself though, I have decided that if Guiliani were to be nominated, I will have to submit a "write in" vote or something to avoid voting for either party's nominee. 2008 could be the year I get at least one vote for president! :-)

For Christ's Fame said...

Dan, I always enjoy your mind. Thanks for the comments.

I think Romney could be an outstanding President. My only reservation has been his connection with LDS.

My fears may be somewhat hypocritical. After all, I vote regularly for non-Christians who espouse worldviews contrary to Scripture.

I think the issue of Mormonism will be a large stumbling block for conretizing evangelical support for Romney if he wins the nomination. As a Christian, I'm still working through the obligations of my dual -citizenship to Christ and to this wonderful country.

Again, thanks for the comments, Dan. Have a merry Christmas.